Kyle Vincent Forum
July 24, 2014, 05:26:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit www.kylevincent.com today!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concert Review-L.A.  (Read 3912 times)
kv
Global Moderator

Email
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:46:38 PM »

Guess I might as well get the ball rolling for this category.
Here's a review of my recent L.A. gig from the performer's perspective.

Bad combination of factors made me not really dig this show.

Headache, meds for headache, jet lag, late set time, wine...whine whine.

I also didn't have my 'best stuff'. I've always compared singing to pitching. When you're warming up in the pen (something I haven't done for a few years...or so..), you get a feeling for how good your stuff is. Then you come in and might not be able to find the strike zone, or your curve just isn't breaking. You're still the same pitcher who didn't allow a hit the previous outing, but for some reason, it's just not there on any particular day.

That's how it is with singing, sort of. Actually not really, because usually my voice feels on, good, strong, easy to dance around the scales. I credit early voice lessons from a great opera teacher in Berkeley (trivia: same gal who taught Jon Rubin) for learning when I was still a teen, how to fine the 'spot' no matter how I'm feeling. But sometimes I have to work to get it there, and sometimes, make that most of the time, the monitors suck and I can't tell what I'm singing.

And sometimes it's just an off night. Usually the audience doesn't know it because if you've done enough shows for enough years you should be pro enough to pull it off and give a great show even if you're not feeling 100%. The best shows to me are the ones where there's no work involved, no worry, no technical thoughts, which makes me able to just dive into the lyrics and melody while absorbing the audience. Those are the magical ones.

Add to that the fact that L.A. clubs are notorious for, well, let's just say they're notorious and leave it at that.

The good news is that so many friends, old and new, some damn old, showed up, which makes me forget how not so great I felt.

Out of a possible 100, I give the Genghis Cohen show a 74.
Jennifer

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:52:56 PM »

Kyle, I thought you sounded wonderful. I always think so. Most beautiful voice in the world. If you were off your game, you had me fooled. Great set of songs, too. Thank you so much for a very enjoyable show.

My only complaints that night were unrelated to your performance -- the seemingly never-ending, horrid first two acts, and the late start time.

I'd like to post the set list, but need some help with titles of some of the new songs. Or maybe you could just post it for us.
Aimster
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 04:58:56 AM »

This is the kind of stuff I love hearing...truly, what it's like for the performer who is doing the show, writing the songs, making the magic happen.  For us in the audience (or on the other end of the earphones) the whole process seems such a mystery.  I have so often wondered what goes on in Kyle's head as he's peering out into a crowd.  Also, the behind the scenes info on the craft of building these songs that we love...more, more, more please!!

kv
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:39:29 PM »

Kyle, I thought you sounded wonderful. I always think so. Most beautiful voice in the world. If you were off your game, you had me fooled. Great set of songs, too. Thank you so much for a very enjoyable show.

My only complaints that night were unrelated to your performance -- the seemingly never-ending, horrid first two acts, and the late start time.

I'd like to post the set list, but need some help with titles of some of the new songs. Or maybe you could just post it for us.

Thanks. Glad it came off ok.

Here's what I remember:

Gonna Be A Great Day
Where You Are
Until Love Comes Again
Arianne
Sierra
Your Life
Maybe It's Better This Way/Let Me Let Go
Lonely World
Wake
Van Gogh/Young Again

Seems I'm missing one. Oh, I almost forgot...I do have the cd they made me. Perhaps I should listen to that someday.
Jennifer

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 10:40:52 PM »

Thank you, that was all the help I needed. Here is the full list, in the correct order:

Gonna Be A Great Day
Where You Are
Until Love Comes Again
Arianne
Tomorrow We'll Try Again
Sierra
Your Life
Lonely World
Wake Me Up
Petals of Peace (your observations of Hiroshima and SF made me laugh)
Maybe It's Better This Way/Let Me Let Go
Van Gogh Sunset/Young Again

Purely delightful performance - your songs are the loveliest things in the world.
Lynette

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:11:55 AM »

First off, I am so happy to be on the board.  For some reason it has not let me post since I registered. 

I am sad that I missed this show.  I haven't had the opportunity to attend any L.A. club gigs.  However, I have seen you perform MANY times Kyle, and have never witnessed a performance that was less than GREAT!!  Including you performing outdoors in 115 degree heat  Cheesy

Life is good!!
Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 10:17:46 AM »

So glad to see that you worked through some of the trouble trying to log in, and log out, Lynette! I've been missing you here. Ah, memories of that great show in 115 degrees...hot in so many ways.
Aimster
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 03:05:02 PM »

First off, I am so happy to be on the board.  For some reason it has not let me post since I registered. 

I am sad that I missed this show.  I haven't had the opportunity to attend any L.A. club gigs.  However, I have seen you perform MANY times Kyle, and have never witnessed a performance that was less than GREAT!!  Including you performing outdoors in 115 degree heat  Cheesy

Life is good!!

Glad you finally were able to work it out Lynette!!!!!!!!!  Welcome (finally) to the board!   Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: