Kyle Vincent Forum
November 27, 2014, 01:29:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit www.kylevincent.com today!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VegFest-Johnstown, PA  (Read 5095 times)
Carolyn

« on: July 29, 2007, 01:03:53 PM »

Great show.  I COULD stop there but I won't. 

Five years ago Kyle asked me, kind of last minute, if I'd make the drive and help him out with CD sales after his show at his first appearance there.  I will never forget his show that night and having been asked back 2 more times I've jumped at the chance to 'help' him out.

Kyle on a real stage in a room built acoustically for music...with an amazing audience to boot!

Eight SHORT songs but they were great.  He started out with It's Gonna Be A Great Day, followed by Last Hawk, Dana and Mary, Sierra, Lonley World, Your Life and then ending with Soul and Petals of Peace.

Sierra has changed!  Just the melody throughout the verses.  On first listen I wasn't too sure that I liked the changes but by the end of it I could understand the ease that it flows with the new pace.  A good song is a good song I guess, huh?  (not to mention the fact that the lyrics to this one don't let you go)

Soul was probably the best I've ever heard it performed and was VERY well received.  Those in the audience seemed to be hanging on it's lyrics as I had numerous comments on it's message while selling CD's.

And may I AGAIN say thank you to Kyle for the stellar effort and subsequent performance of Last Hawk.  There's not much hiding the fact that this is one of my favorites and having him sing it flawlessly while playing that Steinway grand piano.....well, if you aren't moved when listening to this song.....wow.

Petals of Peace was more than a touching end to the show.  Kyle had worked with a group of kids that were attending the conference and they joined him as his background singers on the chorus of the song.  It doesn't get much more fitting than that.

Great, great show.

Change....Sierra's different, not just in melody.  He's got a new guitar!  (weren't we just discussing the 'no more red' issue in another string??)  This one's a 12 string (like I know what I'm talking about here...) and the sounds that come from it truly ARE amazing.  I'm liking the newness but I'd be willing to bet that that old red guitar could play Van Gogh Sunset by itself.

Next time he gets asked to this conference, I'm signing up.  They have so much to offer.  Rumor has it that Kyle's Climate Change presentation went off stunningly as well. 

I'll TRY again to see if I can get a picture of Kyle onstage with his Petals Of Peace choir to post here.

Carolyn
ArKylevist

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »

The picture came through fine, Carolyn, though a little small.  I don't know if pictures can be resized on the board.

GREAT review!  Thanks, Carolyn!  It sounded like a splendid show and a perfect set list!  I love the original incarnation of Sierra so much, I'm not sure how I'd feel about changes, but I'm willing to give it a listen....

^,,^
Gia
kv
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:12:54 AM »

The show went off fine, I always get a bit more hyped when there's a real piano (a Steinway grand to boot!), a big stage, lights, and a good crowd. The climate change presentation the previous day went well too. I was more worried about that than the concert, but after all the tech issues were resolved 15 minutes prior to my talk, all was well. Great discussion.

Re. "Sierra 2"- I always felt as if I had not captured this song the way I had wanted to. I felt it needed a rereading, a new, deeper interpretation. I liked the original recording, but it now feels a bit too peppy and positive, whereas the way I sing it now feels more honest and urgent. I feel the same way about "Soul". Maybe that's all a bunch of junk, but it makes it fresher to me, which I hope will breath new energy into the performance. I'm going to be cutting the new version any day now, perhaps with just myself and my 12-string acoustic..nothing else. I'll let ya know how it comes out.  

A big thanks to Carolyn for driving so many hours through the 25mph speed limits of PA to be there for me, and to get me back to PIT on Sunday. Although, truth be told, if she had been at the wheel on Sunday morning, no way do we make it from JST to PIT in 90 minutes. Damn I'm a good driver! haha.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:15:36 AM by kv » Logged
kv
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 07:14:35 AM »

PS. I still see no photos anywhere. PC or Mac. Logged in or logged out. Nada. Maybe since I'm Global Supreme Commander  or whatever I am of the site, I don't get to see them? Just doesn't seem right. Frankly, it's a bit classist.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:16:57 AM by kv » Logged
Carolyn

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 06:17:35 PM »

KV says:
'Although, truth be told, if she had been at the wheel on Sunday morning, no way do we make it from JST to PIT in 90 minutes'

Truth be told -- if we'd have left an hour earlier as the Global Supreme Talent Genius had originally dictated we wouldn't have HAD to get there in 90 minutes.....

The picture.  It appears that you have to be signed in to see it......and Gia, if you click on the picture it DOES enlarge a little.

Carolyn

kv
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 06:53:07 PM »

KV says:
'Although, truth be told, if she had been at the wheel on Sunday morning, no way do we make it from JST to PIT in 90 minutes'

Truth be told -- if we'd have left an hour earlier as the Global Supreme Talent Genius had originally dictated we wouldn't have HAD to get there in 90 minutes.....

The picture.  It appears that you have to be signed in to see it......and Gia, if you click on the picture it DOES enlarge a little.

Carolyn

I AM logged in, still can't see any photos except those icon things by people's names, which I can never figure out how to add one either.

Global Supreme Talent Genius. I like that. Could we maybe add 'Sir' to the top and 'Pope' at the end? And as for the G.S.T.G. dictating an 8am departure, I was finishing off my hemp tempeh blueberry sprouted waffles! A hungry G.S.T.G. is a grumpy G.S.T.G.

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 11:45:43 AM »

That's a great picture. Thanks, Carolyn.
ArKylevist

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 08:19:56 PM »

Thanks, Carolyn!  I didn't think to try clicking on the photo, and that does enlarge it to the full width of the page, which is wonderful.  GREAT photo.  I think that Sir G.S.T.G. Pope has had one too many of those hemp tempeh thingys and, therefore, isn't seeing any pictures....  I don't know what's up with that!

I'll be interested to hear the new versions of Sierra and Soul, although the peppiness is one of the things I love about Sierra -- the music contrasts the lyrics, and to me, it really works.  It actually makes the lyrics all the more poignant.  However, since I haven't heard the new version yet, I can't make any meaningful comparison.  Until that day, I'll just have to leave it at that!

^,,^
Gia
Aimster
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 12:42:38 PM »

PS. I still see no photos anywhere. PC or Mac. Logged in or logged out. Nada. Maybe since I'm Global Supreme Commander  or whatever I am of the site, I don't get to see them? Just doesn't seem right. Frankly, it's a bit classist.

I did it purposely just to see how irritated you would get not being able to see what everyone else could.  Clearly, it worked. 

I did reset that setting tho, so the fun is over...you should be able to see attachments now.   Tongue
kv
Global Moderator

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »

I did it purposely just to see how irritated you would get not being able to see what everyone else could.  Clearly, it worked. 

I did reset that setting tho, so the fun is over...you should be able to see attachments now.   Tongue

Yep, they be workin'. No more fun. Whatever happened to it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: