Kyle Vincent Forum
September 14, 2019, 11:36:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit www.kylevincent.com today!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Debut Albums  (Read 4969 times)
marvin

« on: September 30, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »

Kyle, you need an area in this Forum where people can just have some musical discussion to. So with that in mind...

Here is a list of debut albums that knocked me out upon first listen. This list doesn’t include seminal debut albums from artists like the Beatles or Elvis or Dylan, because I wasn’t around when those albums first came out, nor does it include albums that I only found out out a year or so after their initial release (e.g. Raspberries, Bad Company, Queen, etc.) It also doesn’t include solo albums from members of bands (e.g. Don Henley, Paul McCartney, etc). This list is solely debut albums that I was around to witness and that I purchased after hearing a single or radio track. So in alphabetical order...

Bay City Rollers – self titled
– the first album was generously filled with cover songs, but the impression the music made on me, and their debut on North American tv via Howard Cosell’s show, was palpable.

Blue Shadows – Lucky To Me
- Canadian band that included Billy Cowsill. Billy’s vision was for the band to be a latter-day version of the Everly Brothers. I saw this band open up for the Band in Mtl about 16 years ago, and had to find the album as soon as possible. Nicely done, Billy.

Boston – self titled
- Is this still the biggest selling debut album by a band? When “More Than A Feeling” hit the airwaves in the summer of ’75, I don’t think that there was anyone who was not hooked by the sound.

Cake – Fashion Nugget
- Again a band that I saw in concert before I actually heard any songs. They were the opening act for Counting Crows in Mtl. Couldn’t quite figure out what they wanted to be, and with a trumpet player as one of the core instruments just confounded things even more. The music was pretty adventurous

Charles & Eddie – Duophonic
- Apparently these guys met on a NY subway over a conversation about Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On?”. In mid 1990’s, this R&B was ahead of the current resurgence of the musical genre.

The Click Five – Greetings from Imrie House
- Boy band power pop done just right. They seem to have gotten lost in the shuffle of other similar bands, but their debut featured some stick-in-your-head fine tunes.

Elvis Costello – My Aim Is True
- Forget about a debut album, this is simply one of the finest albums by any artist ever. Elvis comes out firing with an attitude to match the power of the music.

Counting Crows – August And Everything After
- When I first heard this album, it sounded like a lost early Springsteen-Morrison (Van) album. The tunes were filled with the same kind of lyrical magic.

Marshall Crenshaw - self titled
- “Someday Somewhere” lit the fuse, and put Marshall on my Pop map. The opening album was the perfect combination of 3 minute melodic tunes and expert playing and singing.

AJ Croce – self titled
- Sounding nothing at all like his folk-singer father, AJ meshed some blues, jazz and pop into a great debut. He’s gone on to cover many other styles with future releases.

Steve Earle – Guitar Town
- I’m not a big fan of Country music, but when the songs are this strong, the genre doesn’t matter. Every song resonates.

The Explorers Club – Freedom Wind
- North Carolina band that pays a huge debt to the Beach Boys. Find it, listen to it, and I'm certain that you'll buy it!

Fitz & the Tantrums – Picking Up the Pieces
- The best new album that I’ve bought in years. Sounding somewhat like Darryl Hall, with white R&B that shakes, and sounds modern at retro at the same time!

James Hunter – People Gonna Talk
- Not a big fan of the blues either, but James puts forths tunes with a voice that sounds like it spent a lot of time listening to Sam Cooke. In his words, if you can't say what you want in three minutes, well then, move on.

David Lindley – El Rayo X
- Best known for his many years as a back-up musician in Jackson Browne's band, Lindley’s first album was a great mixture of R&B, reggae, and ska.

Los Lobos – How Will the Wolf Survive
- They had already charted with some Mexican-only releases, but with this release, they finally got a ‘chance.’ It seemed every “Best Albums of the Year” list for 1988 included this one. The were all right.

Heather Myles – Highways & Honky Tonks
- Sheesh for someone who doesn’t like Country music...Myles has a great voice, and her songs are rooted in country music from decades gone by.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers – self titled
- The first TP album sure lay the groundwork for continued greatness. Initially caught up in the punk movement, they would find their melodic voice soon enough.

Rockpile – Seconds of Pleasure
- This is really an all-star band (Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner and Terry Williams) . Their one and only release is joyfully filled with great tunes. Me and many other fans are still waiting for that follow-up.

Ryan Shaw – This is Ryan Shaw
- Very much in the vein of those like Mayer Hawthorne and Fitz and the Tantrums, modern artists trying to capture the r&b from years gone by. Ryan’s debut is non-stop.

Toto – self titled- “Hold the Line” ruled the airwaves, and maybe all the music was not as great as the individual talents in the band, still I fell in love with the sound and the band, and 30 years later, I’m still following them

Kyle Vincent – self titled   Wink
- I’m still waiting for the rest of the world to wake up to Kyle. Simply one of the finest pop singer/songwriters out today. Listen to “Arianne” or “Wake Me Up”, and you’ll be hooked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: